Sunday, March 18, 2012

[Review]: Bunohan

Word has it that Bunohan, the latest movie directed by Dain Said is the movie that certainly bring Malaysian movie standard to a higher notch.

Even since his movie 'Dukun' created the buzz after failed to be aired in the cinemas due to religion and human sensitivity, Bunohan took over the frustration of Dain's follower and the airing is much awaited

Being the greatest supporter for local made film (I even watched Toyol, thats how much I supported Malay Film industry), we head to Midvalley for the first day screening. Crowd's deemed acceptable, not as much as Ombak Rindu though

Have I told you that prior watching any much anticipated movies, to never put extremely high expectations on any?


I'll tell you why

I aint movie critics, not that I used to study things about what makes a film, a quality one. This review of mine is certainly based on my limited knowledge in scene integration as well as my layman view of any arts.

This is definitely an art movie. So, if you are expecting a simple movie like OR or LBS or what not, this is not your cup of tea. If you think Songlap is confusing enough, I bet you'll fall asleep in Bunohan, tired; due much thinking process.

Bunohan needs a mind that is capable to interpret art. The connection between arts and life, that is. Bunohan was executed well enough, depending on your level of interpretation. However the build up was tad too slow, it loses focus and brings audience everywhere without streneous grasping.

Actually,the theme of the movie is pretty simple. Everything is about killing (Bunohan). I shall not bore you with the synopsis, instead let's proceed to the way I see and analyse this movie. This movie is packed with messages that are somehow real in life, however the underlying is rather dark and deviated audience understanding to something that is more complex; which is unnecessary. At least that's what happened to me and booTak. We both went "I think, Ilham ni bla bla bla...", "eh no la, cannot be". Thinking too much will only slows down the process to decipher the non-connected puzzles.

Hatred, jealousy, mystery soul, are among the elements that act as a connection between scene. Hence the title...





I failed to sense any elements of religion in this movie. Probably it was planned that way. There are also several scene that I feel are not relevant and were there to fulfill the seconds with images of Bunohan

For example, take the scene where Ilham went to a shop and man slaughtered the chinese man's neck even after he found out about Adil's whereabout. I feel its unnecessary. Perhaps it is just to show the audience that Ilham has a dark soul and No Mercy is his middle name. Maybe...



The fight scene however is neat. No sense of choreographed kicking and punching, unlike KL Gangster where you feel like you are watching The Kickboxer reality tv show. Adil a.k.a Bunga Lalang played his role well and rather fulfilling especially with his Kelate accent. I did not feel the same with Ilham thou, his accent smells unauthentic

The messages about life, yah we have to talk about that. Normal messages; siblings relationship will never die,never to do bad things to others, never to listen and care about what other people think of you and etc etc...but somehow I feel the pertinent message is kind of gloomy. It is somehow intertwined with his enthusiasm to portray those dark and black soul, leading to audience will be loss in interpretation.

Nonetheless, I have to give credit to good acting by 'Jolok', 'Adil', Bakar and Ilham. Mek Yah not so much. It kinda kill the mood, at least to me. Especially the part where she catwalk out from the river. Cant blame her, it runs in her DNA.

p/s: there were 3 intra scene at the first 5 minutes, managed to decipher the latter 2 but not the first one. Apakah itu?

images *google*

0 comments:

 

It's Me, Truly Me Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger